Thursday, September 16, 2010

America Runs on Dunkin

Attempting to be nice to my bank account, I have limited my addiction to one iced coffee a week. Saturday mornings, to be exact. And only on Saturday mornings I am en route somewhere fabulous that takes over an hour to reach. Stay-at-home-in-pajama Saturdays? No iced coffee.

So a Saturday a few weeks ago, I was staying in, but was having a rough morning, so decided to splurg and get myself an iced coffee. Still in my pajamas, I loaded Tessie into the car for her favorite activity basicially ever - we went for a ride.

And I really splurged. A MEDIUM iced coffee. (I know. My life? Insanely exciting. I can hardly stand it myself)


I almost skipped back to my apartment. Tessie, thrilled with having gone for her beloved ride AND getting to lick the consensation off the coffee cup (another one of her favorite things) seemed right in step with me.

Until we got to the door.

It happened in slow motion.

A group of neighbors outside my door with their dogs. Me, in my pajamas, already trying not to make eye contact and fumbling for my keys. One offers to help me. She has her dog with her, a stranger to Tessie, and is coming closer fast.

Tessie charges. The coffee goes in the air.

reenactment for dramatic effect

My heart was broken. And I was ready to kill my dog. Who must have known this, because in one swift move she pulled out of her collar and made a run for the group of dogs.

Her ultimate "oh shit" face was on when I caught her.

After over an hour, I calmed down enough to forgive and forget. We got back in the car and made a second trip to Dunkin Donuts.


Good thing I love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment